Student Discourse Sample Rubrics
Class Discourse Sample Record Sheets
- Common Core Aligned Class Record Sheet All Inclusive Skills List for you to modify, do not use as is.
- Class Discussion Record Sheet based on CCLS Categories
Texts on the Pedagogy of Discourse
- David Hicks: Discussion Skills in Groups (from Teaching 4 Better World) (2-page PDF)
- Amy Lightfoot: Group Discussion Skills (from BBC Website), (3-page PDF)
- Teaching Tolerance: Civil Discourse in the Classroom (Downloadable booklet)
- Teaching Tolerance: Chapter 2: Building Blocks for Civil Discourse from Civil Discourse booklet. (3-page PDF)
- Unknown: Teaching Background: Socratic Seminar (from www.nwabr.org, also available on ARIS LO)
- Place Mentor: Teaching Group Discussion Skills (from Place Mentor or 3-page PDF)
- Katherine L. Schlick Noe and Nancy J. Johnson: Teaching Studens How to Discuss ( from Litcircles.org or 4-page PDF)
- The Teaching Center, Washington University in St. Louis: Teaching with Discussions (from The Teaching Center or 4-page PDF)
Middle School Specific
- Debra Stanko: (Using Socratic Circles to Teach Middle School Students Independent Discussion Skills (from old web or 33-page PDF), also check out the You Tube Video.
- NCTM: What Are Some Strategies For Facilitating Productive Classroom Discussions?
- Jenni Way: Using Questioning to Stimulate Mathematical Thinking
- Lisa Ann De Garcia (Math Solutions) : How to Get Students Talking! Generating Math Talk That Supports Math Learning
- John Zwek: Strategies to Promote Active Learning in Math/Stat Discussion Sessions